
The Executive Chairman of the Kwara State Universal Basic Education Board (KWSUBEB), Prof. Sheu Ibrahim Adaramaja, made this known on Tuesday in Ilorin during the Inter-Ministerial Press Briefing Report organized by the Ministry of Communications.
Amid the rising insecurity, the Kwara State government has closed down 45 public schools following a series of bandit attacks in some communities across the state.
The Executive Chairman of the Kwara State Universal Basic Education Board (KWSUBEB), Prof. Sheu Ibrahim Adaramaja, made this known on Tuesday in Ilorin during the Inter-Ministerial Press Briefing Report organized by the Ministry of Communications.
Adaramaja said the affected schools are located in communities such as Babanla, Baba Sango, Sangbe, Oke-Ode, and other areas that have recently witnessed security threats.
He stated that the decision to close down the affected schools is to safeguard the students and teachers from being attacked by suspected bandits in those communities.
He explained that teachers from the affected schools had been relocated to safer areas to justify their monthly salaries and ensure continuity of teaching activities.
The SUBEB chairman also revealed that Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq’s administration had approved the 2025 promotion for teachers in the state to boost their morale and enhance academic performance in public schools.
In addition, Adaramaja announced that the government has abolished the payment of Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) levies in all public schools.
A2zgist previously reported that hundreds of residents, including youth and community leaders of Patigi Local Government Area in Kwara State, took to the streets last week Friday to protest the worsening state of insecurity that has left their communities in fear and their hospital without doctors.
The protesters, carrying placards and chanting solidarity songs, gathered at the town center to express their frustration over what they described as unending killings and kidnappings that have plagued the area for months.
A2zgist reports that they accused the state government of neglecting the people of Patigi despite repeated appeals for intervention.
According to the demonstrators, the General Hospital in Patigi has been deserted by doctors who fled the town due to the escalating violence.
The protesters alleged that armed Fulani attackers had been terrorizing their villages, making it unsafe for residents to go to their farms or move freely, especially at night.
A reporter said they noticed new and unfamiliar faces among the Fulani settlers at Kara Market, sparking fears of more attacks.
Community elders, joining the youth in the protest, appealed to Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq to take immediate action to restore peace and security in the area.
They warned that unless urgent steps were taken, the insecurity could lead to total economic collapse in Patigi and other parts of Kwara North.
They noted that anyone claiming that Kwara State is peaceful is not telling the truth. The youths lamented that they are being killed and kidnapped daily, while people are forced to pay ransoms worth millions of naira as their investments continue to perish.
They also criticized Senator Sadiq Umar, who represents Kwara North Senatorial District, accusing him of misrepresenting the situation before the Senate.
The demonstrators called for the relocation of the Kara Market, which they said has become a hub for suspicious activities, and demanded the deployment of more security personnel to patrol rural communities and forest areas where kidnappers are believed to be operating from.
They urged traditional rulers, lawmakers, and security agencies to work together to end the insecurity, warning that continued silence from authorities could lead to more loss of lives and property.
One of the protesters stated, “We, the youth of Patigi, together with our leaders, are appealing to the state government for urgent intervention. We are being killed day and night due to persistent banditry carried out by armed Fulani attackers.
“We want the Kara market in Patigi to be relocated because we have been seeing unfamiliar faces among the Fulani people, and we do not know who they are. We are living in fear, especially at night, as strange people continue to move around our community.
“Because of the insecurity, we find it difficult to go out at night. The situation has also affected the General Hospital in Patigi — due to the killings and kidnappings, all the doctors have fled. There is currently no doctor at the hospital, and our patients are dying. Our lives are no longer safe.
“We can no longer go to our farms because of fear. Our farm produce is getting spoiled as we are unable to harvest them. We are pleading for help from the government, traditional rulers, local government chairman, members of the House of Assembly, and Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq. Please, come to our aid.
“We are dying. Anyone who tells you that Kwara State or Patigi is safe is not telling the truth. We are not safe. We are being killed every day and night. Please, Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq, come to our rescue. We urgently need your support.
“Senator Sadiq, you went to the chamber and said Kwara North is safe. It is not safe. We are dying. Our lives are not safe; day and night, we are being killed. There is no day you won’t receive a call from a neighboring village saying that people have been kidnapped and ransom payments have been made — billions of naira — while all our investments are dying.”
