PHOTO

The apex Christian body also accused the Bola Tinubu-led presidency of misrepresenting its stance following a visit by presidential aide, Barrister Daniel Bwala, to the CAN Secretariat in Abuja.

The Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) has reaffirmed its long-standing position that Christians across parts of Nigeria are facing genocide, aligning with recent remarks by United States Senator, Ted Cruz.

The apex Christian body also accused the Bola Tinubu-led presidency of misrepresenting its stance following a visit by presidential aide, Barrister Daniel Bwala, to the CAN Secretariat in Abuja.

In a statement issued on Wednesday and signed by its President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, CAN said it was compelled to set the record straight after a statement purportedly from the Presidency claimed that the association dismissed reports of targeted killings of Christians as a “so-called Christian genocide.”

According to CAN, during the meeting, Bwala sought to understand its position on the global reactions to remarks by U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, who had earlier described the persistent attacks on Christian communities in Nigeria as a “Christian genocide.”

CAN said Bwala maintained that both Christians and Muslims had suffered from insecurity, adding that the current administration inherited the crisis and is making efforts to address it.

However, CAN noted that it was “alarmed” to see a report titled “Presidency Debunks Western Christian Genocide Narrative in Dialogue with CAN Leadership,” which it said grossly misrepresented the discussion.

CAN stated, “The report falsely suggested that the CAN President, Archbishop Daniel Okoh, dismissed or downplayed the ongoing killings by describing them as a ‘so-called Christian genocide.’ That portrayal is completely false and grossly unfair.”

The association reiterated that the violence against Christians in many parts of Northern Nigeria and the Middle Belt represents a systematic pattern of persecution that has persisted for years.

According to the statement, “CAN made it clear that its position on this issue has long been established and remains unchanged.

“Across many parts of Northern Nigeria and the Middle Belt, Christian communities have suffered repeated, organized, and brutal attacks which have left thousands dead, villages destroyed, and families displaced.

“These are not isolated crimes but a continuing pattern of violence that has persisted for years without justice or closure.”

CAN further stated, “The meeting was recorded by CAN’s media team, and at no point did Archbishop Okoh use such words or express such a view.

“Referring to the tragedy as a ‘so-called genocide’ trivialises the pain of countless Christians who have lost loved ones, homes, and places of worship in targeted attacks.”

CAN noted that during the meeting with Bwala, its Director of Planning, Research and Strategy, Bishop Mike Akpami, presented verified data from orfa.africa, indicating consistent and targeted assaults on Christians across Africa, including Nigeria.

The association also noted that the meeting was attended by its top officials, including its President, Archbishop Okoh; Rev. (Dr.) Stephen Panya Baba, Vice President; Apostle (Prof.) Samson Fatokun, General Secretary, and several other directors and regional representatives.

CAN clarified that some names listed in media reports, such as Rev. Dr. Uzoaku Williams and Dr. Celestine Aharanwa, were not in attendance.

CAN called on the Nigerian Government and security agencies to take decisive and transparent action to end the killings and bring perpetrators to justice.

It also urged media professionals and government officials to exercise sensitivity and truthfulness in reporting matters of national security and human rights.
Recall that U.S. Senator Ted Cruz, a Republican from Texas, recently sparked international debate when he described the persistent killings of Christians in Nigeria as a “Christian genocide” during a Senate hearing on global religious freedom.
Cruz accused successive Nigerian governments of failing to protect minority Christian communities from sustained attacks by Islamist militias, Boko Haram insurgents, and armed herdsmen.
“Christians in Nigeria are being slaughtered because of their faith. This is not random violence, it is a systematic extermination,” Cruz reportedly said, urging the U.S. State Department to re-designate Nigeria as a “Country of Particular Concern” (CPC) for religious persecution.

His comments reignited international attention on Nigeria’s religious violence, drawing reactions from rights groups, Christian organizations, and the Nigerian government, which rejected the genocide characterisation.

CAN’s statement marks one of the strongest endorsements yet of Cruz’s position by a major Nigerian religious body, underscoring the growing tension between official narratives and ground realities of faith-based violence in the country.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *