
A2zgist gathered that some other victims were still with the kidnappers since their families were yet to raise the N10million ransom demanded.
Two victims of the kidnapped incident, around the NIFOR area near Aso-Rock Police Checkpoint, along the Benin–Sobe–Akure Road, Edo State on Saturday, October 25, 2025 have been released after paying N10million ransom each.
A2zgist gathered that some other victims were still with the kidnappers since their families were yet to raise the N10million ransom demanded.
A source told A2zgist on Wednesday that a victim, Joy Ayeni and one man who was shot on the leg had been released while one Lucky Imoukhuede was still with the kidnappers.
According to the source, “his family has been able to raise ₦6million but the kidnappers are demanding for ₦10million. We were made to understand that ₦10million is what the kidnappers are collecting.”
“Only Ayeni and the man they shot on the leg have been released so far,” the source said.
A2zgist had reported that civic tech accountability group, MonITNG, raised the alarm over the worsening wave of kidnappings along Edo highways, calling on Governor Monday Okpebholo and security agencies to urgently intervene.
In a “KIDNAPPING ALERT IN EDO STATE!” which the organization shared on X it expressed deep concern over what it described as “the growing wave of insecurity in Edo State, as families are thrown into pain and fear.”
The group had said, “Two individuals, Mr. John Odion from Ogute-Emai, Owan East LGA, and Miss Ayeni Joy, are among the victims of the kidnapping incident that occurred on Saturday, October 25, 2025, around the NIFOR area near Aso-Rock Police Checkpoint, along the Benin–Sobe–Akure Road.”
The platform had disclosed that about ten passengers travelling from Sabo-Gidda Ora in Owan West Local Government Area to Benin City were abducted by gunmen, while “the driver and two breastfeeding mothers were released.”
Providing further details, MonITNG stated that “Mr. Odion, who could not find a vehicle from Afuze to Benin, took a bike to Sabo and joined the ill-fated journey where he was kidnapped alongside others.”
It added that “the kidnappers initially demanded ₦20 million ransom, but negotiations are ongoing and they are now asking for ₦10 million for his release.”
The group also reported that “Miss Ayeni Joy was kidnapped around the same location while returning from Afuze,” noting that the abductors had demanded “₦20 million ransom for her freedom.”
The civic tech group said these incidents “have once again exposed the frightening state of insecurity on Edo highways, where innocent citizens live in fear of abduction.”
MonITNG appealed to the Edo State government, the Nigerian Police Force, the Nigerian Army, and local vigilante groups to “act swiftly and decisively to secure the release of these victims and restore safety along the Benin–Sobe–Akure corridor.”
It warned that the situation demanded “urgent intervention and visible security presence to prevent further abductions.”
